Here’s what NomadList found the best ones:
Chian Mai, Thailand – Prague, Czech Rep. – Bangkok, Thailand – Hoi An, Vietnam – Belgrade, Serbia – Riga, Latvia – Davao, Philippines – Zagreb, Croatia – Sofia, Bulgaria – Ubud, Indonesia.
Interesting. Half of them are in Asia, half of them are in Eastern Europe. I happen to know some of them and this list makes me laugh.
Of course, personal preferences are different and here’s why I would have Panama City, Panama ranked first.
My criteria are very simple ones and there are 0, 1 and 2 points given
1. Quality of living
- weather: 2
- people: 2
- nature: 2
- safety: 2
2. Business environment
- solid growth: 2
- infrastructure: 2
- bureaucrazy: 2
- taxes: 2
- immigration: 2
- Weather: You can’t beat a country that close to the Equator, surrounded by 2 oceans. Don’t even try.
- People: Super-friendly, good looking, competently running the Panama Canal, world’s largest ship register, a banking system without bad banks etc.
- Nature: a rainforest within city limits, and 50% of the country is rainforest, more than 2,500 km coastline, Pacific and Caribbean, hundreds of islands, a silent volcano, 3,500 m high.
- Safety: Only risk is in the drug trafficking business for those involved. Stay away,
- Infrastructure: Impressive how fast things are being done here. Look at skyline and airports and metro and ports and the Pan-American Highway
- Bureaucrazy: For self-imployed pros or those who do their business offshore, not a big deal. For the others, settle in one of 3 Special Economic Zones.
- Taxes: See bureaucrazy. No income taxes for offshore business
- Immigration: with 4% unemployment, the country welcomes foreign professionals and investments. Some easy ways to immigrate.
So Panama City is getting my 18 out of 18 points, but check with your own preferences.